Thursday, February 08, 2007

Just to set the record straight.

Just who do you think you are dealing with here?

I am a determined person. I work hard. I try to always do the right thing. When given the choice, I always take the high road. I care about people. I hurt when they are hurting. I work to make it better. I do my part to incite change. I'm a kind person. I put others before myself. I won't give up because things aren't going my way. I believe there cannot be change without sacrifice. I give more than lip service to my beliefs. I love and I love deeply. When the going gets tough, I get tougher. I never turn my back on my family, or my friends. I will always be there, when I am needed. I believe in a brighter future for our world, and our children. I will not close my eyes in the face of injustice. I will not walk away from a fight, just because I cannot win. If it is right, if it is just, it is my battle to the end, win or lose. I bend but I won't break. I won't compromise if it means settling for anything less than the right thing. I don't trust you just because you shook my hand. My trust must be earned. My respect is automatic, but can be lost.

I get tired. I have feelings, and I hurt sometimes. I have scars so deep I don't know where they begin or if they end. I have issues, we all do. I'm working on mine, how about you? I am lonely much of the time. I can't stand bullshiters and backstabers. I don't have time for fair weather friendships. I will not be your doormat. I will not give, when I cannot also take. Not anymore. I don't make promises that I don't intend to keep. There is no such thing as a small promise. I don't go out much, I don't like crowds. I don't waste my time on liars, cheaters and thugs. I will not be intimidated, or taken for a fool. I don't think there is any room in this world for hatred. I pledge to keep my mind open, but my heart guarded.

I am not a pretty face, an easy lay, a free ride, a target, a prize, a piece of flesh. I am a person, a good person. I have dreams, emotions, desires. I'm not a genius but I'm pretty smart. I like to laugh. Sometimes you even catch me humming a little tune, or dancing a step or two. I have my ups and downs, my highs and lows. I love teaching. It thrills me to help others learn about the world. I love Mexico, mountains, long walks and puppy dogs. I am a human being, and I have a right to be alive. I have a right to my dignity. You should respect me automatically, as a fellow human being. My life is mine to live. I live it with purpose. I have my share of shame, let me have my pride too. I don't believe it's my place to judge you, nor is it your place to judge me. You are entitled to your opinion, but don't expect it to affect how I live my life.

I am not going to bend over and take it anymore. I will stand and fight. I will fight with everything I have.

No comments: