Saturday, January 06, 2007

Decisions

I've been thinking alot lately about my last resolution; starting a family. I've come to some conclusions.
While I know that I want to have children, there is no rush to do it now. I have 10+ good child bearing years left, and many more years to adopt a child, which I am equally if not more inclined to do.
I don't know that I want to create life, in this world, under these conditions. I mean, do I really want to risk my child inheriting my mental illness? My life is great, for me, but is it ideal for a child? Probably not. I travel too much, I don't have enough free time, I don't make enough money, I don't have healthcare. While the child would no doubt have a loving and stimulating environment, I feel I need a little more to offer before I bring a child into my life. So starting a family this year, is unlikely. I need to relax and enjoy this time, while I continue to build my life into a place fit for children.

Right now, however, is an ideal time to add a dog to my life. :)

Meet Chai and Skip. I have an appointment to meet them tomorrow. Moxie is coming with me to see if she takes a liking to either one. Even this, this small thing, bringing home a dog, scares me. Its a big step, an added responsibility. But in comparison to what I would be facing were I pregnant right now, this is nothing.

No comments: